First thing you should know right from the get-go is that I consider organic whole foods one of the key ingredients for eating nutritious and healthy. Why? It’s really quite simple; it is not healthy to eat foods that have chemicals that are literally toxic to your body. There are other factors as well but for today this is where I am starting so, for the record, any recipes I post you can presume all ingredients are organic (though whether you make it that way is completely up to you).
The downside to eating organic is that it does cost more. Can you afford it? Absolutely. Any family on a tight food budget can work some important healthful organic items into it, it's just a matter of choices. Often it is easiest to start by committing to purchase just a couple of items organically on a regular basis (might I suggest apples?) and then expand as you adjust your budget to the costs.
Last year when I switched over to an all organic grocery list (there are still a few items not found at our local organic grocery store) two things happened; first – I do a much better job of planning out my menu each week since the organic grocery store carries mostly whole foods and not nearly as many convenient processed food. I definitely need to know what I am cooking before going inside. Having an organized menu for the week and a well thought out grocery list means I am not tempted to buy non-list items and this saves me money. Second, the local natural and certified organic grocery store (PCC is my preferred store) doesn’t have all the sale hype extras that lure you in to buying more than you intended. When I am in PCC I feel like I can focus on my list and not be distracted by the next best deal on food with no nutritional value, and this too saves me more money.
Last year when I switched over to an all organic grocery list (there are still a few items not found at our local organic grocery store) two things happened; first – I do a much better job of planning out my menu each week since the organic grocery store carries mostly whole foods and not nearly as many convenient processed food. I definitely need to know what I am cooking before going inside. Having an organized menu for the week and a well thought out grocery list means I am not tempted to buy non-list items and this saves me money. Second, the local natural and certified organic grocery store (PCC is my preferred store) doesn’t have all the sale hype extras that lure you in to buying more than you intended. When I am in PCC I feel like I can focus on my list and not be distracted by the next best deal on food with no nutritional value, and this too saves me more money.
“I like to say, “pay more, eat less.” There’s no escaping the fact that better food—whether measured by taste or nutritional quality (which often correspond)— costs more, usually because it has been grown with more care and less intensively. Not everyone can afford to eat high-quality food in American, and that is shameful; however, those of us who can, should. Doing so benefits not only your health (by, among other things, reducing your exposure to pesticides and pharmaceuticals), but also the health of the people who grow the foods as well as the people who live downstream and downwind of the farms where it is grown.” Michael Pollan, Sustainable Eating & Nutrition
I was curious to see how my food bill was impacted by “going organic” and after tracking my spending for a few months I was surprised, though I shouldn’t have been, to see that my food bill actually went down a little. Obviously better planning on my part and far fewer impulse buys makes it affordable for me to eat healthier.
Not ready to go all organic? No problem! Here are a few links that highlight which food items really ought to be eaten organic and how to eat organic on a budget:
*Having a hard time finding jarred tomatoes? Here is a link that gives some alternatives to canned tomatoes and avoiding BPA as a result.
0 comments:
Post a Comment